Ten Women I Have Been Warned Against Becoming:
1. The Girl Who Takes Up Too Much Space, always, her shoulders too wide in stairwells, her hips too big in doorways, her voice too loud in classes. This woman does not understand the art of crumbling, of curling herself tight like the spiral of a fern, soft, delicate, unwilling to reach out the ivy of her fingers to grasp onto what should rightfully be hers. This is a beast, an elephant, a moving mountain and she is capable of flattening you, she is capable of ruining you, she is capable of making you feel as small and insignificant in her life as she is supposed to be. You are this woman’s footnote to history, you are her side note in song lyrics, you are constantly interrupted by her with a witty joke you wish you thought of. I asked what the problem was with being a steamroller instead of a sunflower and I was laughed down.
2. The Beautiful One, the long hair or the slim waist or the pretty eyes or the lips like bowstrings. This woman looks good in everything because she’s confident in whatever you put her in. She’ll cut her hair short on you no matter how you like it, she’ll wear high heels and step on your opinions, she’ll look hot as hell no matter what size she is. See, the reason you can’t trust her is because women like this don’t need your permission, they’ll do as they please and get away with it. They’ll say no to you, over and over. Teach your daughters that beautiful means dangerous, teach them to distrust women who love themselves. Equate beautiful with vapid, equate pretty with stupid, take their power from them. Say they’re vain for their makeup, refuse to see them without it. These women are snakes, they are serpents. I said maybe the problem lies with you being unable to control yourself and was told to get off my pedestal.
3. A Bitch. Women are supposed to be ladies in the street but will tear skin under sheets. I’m told: Never raise your voice. Speak gently. Submit. Hold your opinion against your lips and when you admit to it, make sure it comes out as a butterfly wing suggestion. Don’t disagree. Don’t undermine someone else’s authority, regardless of whether or not they deserve your respect. Someone touches you, just move away from them. Don’t hit. Don’t talk back. Be like the ruins of Rome, only beautiful if you can’t hear your quiet death.
4. The Needy One. I have heard how others spit when they talk about how she gave you everything and you shoved it back down her throat until she choked on it, until she came back crawling and asked you what she did, until her palms and knees were scraped for want of just a little affection - never be this woman, I’m told, because she’s a joke and the joke is that she dared to have more emotion than you did. The truth is, I’m told, the one who cares less in a partnership is the one who wins. I didn’t know this was a competition.
5. The Cock Tease, certified stripper, how dare that girl look like that and not want me to sleep with her. Lust is always personified as a lady in red with a dress slit up her thigh. Lust is sinful because it’s power, it’s not asking for attention - it’s demanding it. I’m told she is the worst kind of woman, that looking good is supposed to be some kind of shame on her kin. I’m told not to leave the house in such a short skirt, not with a shirt so low, not with a lace back, not with high heels, not dressed like that. My lipstick can’t be too red, my hair can’t be too mussed, I can’t just “turn someone on like that and then leave them wanting.” I mentioned that instant gratification actually ruins our psyche and was told that being led on was “exhausting.” I said that there was a difference between purposefully tricking someone into liking you and just being attractive or friendly. I was told there’s also a difference between coffee and tea but both result in caffeine. I said, “I’ve been turned on in class by the girls I talk to but I didn’t expect anything from them,” and they said, “It’s different, you’re not a man,” but couldn’t explain where that difference was.
6. A Slut, obviously ruined by another person’s touch. It doesn’t matter how many people she’s actually been with, it’s all about the rumors she carries with her. Easy. Harlot. You’ll still try to get with her, you’ll still take her into your bed and kiss her and say things you don’t mean - but you’ll defame her name when you talk to your buddies. My father used to say “A slut is fine for the night, but the virgin is who you take home and marry.” Maybe he didn’t know he was teaching his daughter to hate her sexuality. Maybe he didn’t know that every time she’d be kissed, her whole system would shake until she felt ready to combust, shame and self-hatred shivering against her spine. Maybe he didn’t know she’d disconnect emotions and sex because he always told her, “Boys are different, they won’t care about you.” Nobody said to her that it was okay to experiment. See, the funny thing is, I’m a dancer so I know exactly where my center of gravity is. I know how hard I’ll fall in each direction. Yet out of fear of getting hurt, I won’t let a single person inside of my bed.
7. The Soulmate. Never love romance more than you love being cynical. Never show weakness, never like pink, never think maybe you might find someone nice and settle down with them. Someone will find you, I was told, And if you’re lucky, he’ll put up with you when you start getting old. Never be the woman who believes in happily ever after, never be dumb enough to think maybe someone could love you after all of your mistakes. It has nothing to do with whether or not a family is important to you and you’re in a good place where a relationship would make your life better - you’re not a princess. You don’t get married, you settle.
8. The Girl With Strength, who can outrun everyone and who is stronger than her boyfriend. “See the thing about boys,” says my daddy, “Is that you have to let them win.” I sat at home and read stories about Artemis and wanted to become the huntress, too. I wanted to howl at the moon, I wanted to slay the beasts that bested me, I wanted to rule my kingdom with bloody fists. But girls are never athletes, never supposed to be “built,” regardless of the fact civilizations were constructed on our spines and we made homes in war by the steel of our ribs. Never be strong. We are supposed to wilt.
9. The Lady CEO: because if you choose work over family, are you really a girl? How dare you fight your way to the top through every pair of eyes that bore through your blouse, through every meeting where you were hushed by the sound of someone else talking, through every time someone called you “sweetie,” how dare you yearn for something. Is your husband the stay-at-home one? I can’t imagine how that is going. He’s not a real man, after all. I don’t give it long before the divorce. How dare you decide you’re happy being single. Don’t you know you’re supposed to bear children. Where is your honor? Where is your wisdom? Who cares if you are the leader, the best suited for your position, the quickest-thinking, the one who makes the hardest clients come back again. Don’t you see? Across history, women have been terrible at success. They always lose their man in the end. (When I said, “I would rather be a famous author than a mediocre mother,” I was told, “No, don’t worry, you’ll be a fine mommy.”)
10. THE GIRL I AM: FIRECRACKER AND DON’T YOU FUCKING FORGET IT I’LL RIP YOU TO SHREDS AND I WON’T FUCKING REGRET IT I’M NOT YOUR PRETTY GIRL I’M NOT YOUR ANYTHING I’M PERFECT, MOTHERFUCKER, AND I’M NOT GOING TO GIVE UP WHAT I’M DOING. I DON’T WANT TO BE “LADYLIKE” THAT LITERALLY MEANS NOTHING I’M NOT GOING TO STOP STANDING UP AND DEMANDING WHAT’S COMING TO ME. I’M GONNA BE SOMEBODY. I’M GONNA MAKE THEM REMEMBER ME. I REFUSE TO BE OVERSHADOWED IN HISTORY. I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO CREATE BUT YOU MADE ME A DRAGON YOU PUT ME IN THE FIRE AND WHEN I STOPPED BURNING I LEARNED HOW TO GLOW DON’T THINK YOU CAN STOP ME YOU CAN’T TAME A TORNADO.
gay and lesbian monosexuals who complain about heterosexuality being the default and then turn around and interrogate bisexuals about their experiences with same-sex intimacy, or claim that bisexuals currently in opposite-sex relationship are straight. wtf. you are a part of the problem. by demanding we show ‘proof’ of our gayness, you are upholding heterosexuality as the default sexual orientation. you are literally saying, if you are not doing something explicitly gay at this very moment, you are straight. i don’t even.
The SCAR Project is a series of large-scale portraits of young breast cancer survivors shot by fashion photographer David Jay. Primarily an awareness raising campaign, The SCAR Project puts a raw, unflinching face on early onset breast cancer while paying tribute to the courage and spirit of so many brave young women.
Dedicated to the more than 10,000 women under the age of 40 who will be diagnosed this year alone, The SCAR Project is an exercise in awareness, hope, reflection and healing.
Now HERE’S a good goddamn glimpse at breast cancer. Fuck your “save second base” bullshit. -C
an autistic muggle-born hogwarts student sneaking pens and pencils and paper into the castle because using a quill and parchment isn’t good for their sensory input
autistic wizards enchanting blankets to be heavier so they don’t have to pay out their ass for a standard weighted blanket
autistic hogwarts students being absolute masters at non-verbal spells and kicking everyone’s asses when that comes up in their classes
the bloody baron not clanking his chains around autistic students and chasing peeves off because peeves is that ASSHOLE who deliberately tries to trigger meltdowns/shutdowns i’m sure of it
an autistic student who loves care of magical creatures because they understand these animals better than people
there need to be more autistic hogwarts headcanons even if i have to write them all myself god damnit i want autistic wizards.
a fairytale where a young girl is kidnapped and forced to marry a demon king and instead of being like no! never! shes like fine as long as i get to help you destroy and hes like lol cool but soon shes doing a bit too much and her husband king is like okay enough power and shes like bye see you in the dungeon and hes like what and hes dragged away cause now everyone is more loyal to her and she reigns over the underworld and the surface world with a cold iron fist
Halfway through explaining to requiodile how they’d done the arm prop for TWS I realised I was quoting info from the artbook that I hadn’t seen on Tumblr. So here you go!
"What the directors described was an arm almost beyond what Tony Stark could do now, the highest tech possible, so whoever had replaced Winter Soldier’s arm was beyond what even our main technological hero of the Marvel Universe could accomplish," Meinerding says. "That allowed us to go with the horizontal cut lines across the arm, something fairly traditional in the Marvel Universe, so it was kind of cool to be able to do it on-screen."
Shane Mahan, Physical Suit Effects Supervisor at Legacy Effects, describes the process of creating the Winter Soldier’s arm from a life-cast of actor Sebastian Stan: “First, we do an exact mold of the actor’s arm for the size and the dimension, and then we do a casting out of that. But we also took him to get a 3-D scan of his arm, so we had digital information as well as a hard, real-world casting to work from. We took the designs from Ryan Meinerding’s design team, and then one of our digital artists here — Won-il Song — created a digital sculpture.”
"I designed this to be a seamless forearm piece," Mahan continues. "And after the digital sculpture has been done, and the part has been grown and cleaned up, it matches up to a bicep piece. One of our artists, Chris Swift, is pictured testing it."
Legacy created two versions of the Winter Soldier’s arm. “We made one from foam rubber with tracking markers on it for extreme action,” Mahan says. “And then there were these arms made of urethane that were metalized and had less action mobility, but for certain shots looked reflective and really great.”
More scans etc. here.
I spent the whole movie wondering how they did this…
Can we talk about how Steve Rogers would probably fight to keep abortion legal and safe, because he saw how many people used to die back in the day because all abortions were illegal and unsafe and…
See, I hate pictures like this. Why is it seen as though a man is doing a favor if he’s doing the dishes? Why is it said that he’s nice enough to do the dishes? Why is it just expected that the women will do the dishes, but the men are doing the women a favor if they do the dishes?
No, you do not deserve a goddamn blowjob just for doing the dishes. If you live in the house and you eat in the house, you have the responsibility to do the dishes just like every other member of the house does.
Having grown up in a patriarchal household, I’m having nothing of this. I am sick of seeing my father sit on the couch, eat his dinner, and then leave the dishes there for my mother to pick up and wash. It is not the woman’s job to do the dishes for you.
It hurts to see fellow women circulating pictures like this. Stop trying to encourage the patriarchal roles. Stop trying to convince them that they have done you a huge favor if they did one household chore and that you should then give them a blowjob for it.
Does he lick your pussy every time you do the dishes? No? How come?
If he doesn’t, then why the hell should you?
a thousand lonely abusive men shout in unison “it’s just a joke.”